Friday 2 April 2010

Howling Wolf

My friends Gavin and Vicky were leaving to return back to Jersey and decided to throw a party. Gavin being an ex professional drummer, decided that he would play some live sets with the various bands he had played with over the last few years.

All well and good and not too bad they were too. He is good as were his musician friends. That is except the middle band who weren't just good - they were sensational. They were a really tight blues band with a fantastic guitarist. I mean seriously good. Awesome was Gavin's professional opinion. Anyway they started on this track and I'm thinking I know this one. And then it dawns on me as they break into the riff that drives the chorus that this is "Killing Floor" one of my favourite blues tracks.

Now "Killing Floor" has a history with me. When I first came over to Europe I spent some time in Amsterdam which has a wonderful flea market. It was there that I found some cheap  blues CD's. One of these was a CD of tracks by Howling Wolf. I just bought it on spec never having heard the name but thinking what the heck. Well I was blown away and became an instant fan - especially of the last 3 tracks which ended with his wonderful "Killing Floor" track

Here is the only studio version of Killing Floor that I could find on the Net - Killing Floor as Howling Wolf recorded the song

A better example of Howling's driving sense of rhythm is however this version of his immortal Shake for Me (one of the other 3 tracks that had intoxicated me) - Howling Wolf - Shake for me

Howling - born Chester Burnett in 1910 - was one of the major blues muscians who influenced the burgeoning R&B scene in England in the 60's. The Stones, the Yardbirds, Eric Clapton, Led Zepplin, Steve Winwood all looked up to Howling Wolf. A giant of a man at over 6'6" tall and nearly 300 pounds he had an amazing gruff voice that powered through his tracks and just oozed the blues.

Here is Howling playing on an American TV Show "Shindig". In it Brian Jones and Mick Jagger openly acknowledge their admiration of Howling. It is however perhaps best known for Brian Jones telling the MC to shut up and bring on Howling (just watch out for Howling swivelling his hips mid way through - the man can move too) - Howling playing with the Stones on Shindig


I think that's one of the reason I like the Stones so much. They paid their dues and knew their stuff. They were true music fans and understood the precedents for where they wanted to go musically. They covered Howling's Little Red Rooster in 1964 as well as a number of Robert Johnson tracks like Love in Vain
Howling was blues to his core as this great track shows from the same recording as Shake for Me above - Howling performing live

Having said that however I have to leave you with this clip from 1970 showing Howling terrorising his way through Killing Floor Howling Wolf Killing Floor Live in 1970. He da man

No comments:

Post a Comment